Wednesday 8 August 2007

Facts about Holland

As I am still here in Holland I thought I'd find and share some interesting facts about Holland that you may or may not already know based on findings from various websites (so don't blame me if it's not 100% accurate)...
1. The population of Holland is around 16 million

2. There are twice as many bikes as there are cars in Holland - and be warned if you're driving in Holland as the cyclists have the right of way - always! Be prepared for them to ride straight across your path and if you hit one you're in real trouble.

3. Around half of the Netherlands lies below sea level.

This figure varies a lot amongst websites, some claiming a quarter, others a third, others over 50% but I ended up trusting the National Geographic website on the following page...


4. Dutch men are the tallest in the world at an average of 6 feet.

Interestingly in the nineteenth century the Netherlands was renowned for having the shortest men in Europe, with an average height of just 5'4" in 1850.


So, why?

One suggestion is due to the threat of Holland falling underwater and the need to keep one's head above water.

Another is down to the clogs they wear adding an extra 3 inches to their appearance.

But really...

Most likely it's down to the nation's health and wealth. Dutch people thrive on a protein-rich diet (they can't get enough cheese, milk and bread) and they have a national health service that ensures healthy development of their growing kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great. I finished my school work on these facts

Anonymous said...

acGreat. I finished my school work on these facts